Contact Us Today!
Birmingham Sexual Harassment Lawyers
Experienced Defense Against Sexual Harassment in Alabama
Do you feel like you are being objectified or sexualized at work? Have you experienced threats or intimidation from a supervisor or manager who requests sexual favors? If you are the victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, you should pursue legal action immediately. Your rights are important, and it is your right to be free of sexual harassment or any other form of harassment in the workplace. Our employment law lawyers at Michel | King are here to use our resources and 50+ years of combined legal insight to help clients protect their best interests in sexual harassment cases.
The Elements of Sexual Harassment Case
Many actions may amount to sexual harassment or sex discrimination (discrimination based on gender).
Those actions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Offensive or unwanted remarks about looks, clothing, or body parts
- Staring in a sexually suggestive manner
- Sending explicit or sexually suggestive emails or messages
- Telling sexual or lewd jokes
- Making sexual gestures
- Any unwanted physical contact that could be deemed sexual
If you are the victim of any of these actions while at work, you should contact a Birmingham sexual harassment lawyer. We understand your difficulties, and it is important to understand that you do not have to tolerate sexual harassment and sex discrimination at work.
Common Forms of Sexual Harassment
There are two common forms of sexual harassment:
- "Quid Pro Quo" Sexual Harassment: Many cases of sexual harassment occur in situations where benefits (such as salary increases, promotions, work assignments, etc.) are only granted to an employee in exchange for sexual favors or when an employee is threatened with termination or lesser consequences if they refuse to provide sexual favors.
- Hostile Environment Sexual Harassment: Another common form of sexual harassment involves situations where an employee is the victim of hostility, where unwelcome verbal, non-verbal, and/or physical conduct toward them is sexual or based on their gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
What to Do if You Experience Sexual Harassment at Work
If you are experiencing sexual harassment at work, you should take the following steps:
- Keep a written record of specific dates and the comments or behaviors that made you feel uncomfortable
- If you feel safe, inform the harasser that their behavior is offensive and unwelcome
- Report the harassment to your manager or supervisor and request they put a stop to it
- Cooperate in the employer’s investigation of your sexual harassment complaint
- Document any other instances of sexual harassment you experience after your report
- If your employer fails to take action, file a claim with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Consult with an experienced sexual harassment lawyer to discuss your options under the law
Contact Our Birmingham Sexual Harassment Attorneys Today
Michel | King is devoted to representing employees subjected to illegal discrimination or harassment. We know your rights, and so should you. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment or sex discrimination, you must act quickly. Rest assured that your employer is already looking for ways to defeat any claim you may have for discrimination or harassment.
Speak with a Birmingham sexual harassment lawyer from our team today to discuss your case and learn how we can help you preserve your rights. We understand the severity of the situation that you face. Let us put our experience to work for you so you can work in an environment free of sexual harassment and sex discrimination.
Contact Michel | King today to schedule a FREE confidential case evaluation with our sexual harassment lawyers in Birmingham!