Contact Us Today!
Race Discrimination Lawyers in Birmingham
We’ve Recovered Millions for Our Clients
In 1964, the Civil Rights Act made it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against an employee based on race. However, despite the fact that 50 years have passed since the Act was passed, and great strides have been made, racial discrimination is still an issue that many people deal with every day.
Employees often notice racial discrimination when they are singled out for being part of a particular race and receive less treatment because of it. Common forms of racial discrimination include:
- Lower pay rate
- Lesser benefits
- Failure to hire or promote someone based on race
If you work in the Birmingham area and you feel that you have been adversely affected in the workplace due to your race or country of origin, you should contact a Birmingham race discrimination attorney who is experienced with employment law and who will be committed to you and your cause.
Michel | King has been successful in many racial discrimination cases in the Birmingham area. The legal team at Michel | King has a thorough understanding of all aspects of employment law, both at the state and federal levels. Coupled with an aggressive approach, personal determination and dedication, our discrimination attorneys have helped many clients finally get justice and compensation for their employer's wrongs.
What To Do When You Experience Racial Discrimination At Work
Have you experienced race discrimination in the workplace? Michel | King can help. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting the rights of employees throughout Alabama who have been subjected to race discrimination in the workplace and are ready to provide guidance and support.
We recommend taking the actions below if you have encountered racial discrimination at work:
- Keep a detailed record, including dates, times, locations, and individuals involved. Preserve any evidence related to the discrimination, such as emails, memos, performance evaluations, or witness statements. This evidence can strengthen your case and support your claims.
- Follow your employer’s procedures for reporting discrimination in the workplace.
- Seek advice from a skilled race discrimination attorney from Michel | King
At Michel | King, we offer professional and prompt care with over 50 years of experience handling race discrimination cases. Our highly awarded legal team is dedicated to exceptional service, as reflected in our 5-star client reviews. If you've experienced race discrimination in the workplace, don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you seek justice and protect your rights as an employee.
What Does It Take to Prove a Race Discrimination Case?
To prove a race discrimination case, multiple issues must be addressed, including:
- That an adverse employment action occurred, such as denial of a job or promotion.
- The discrimination was based on race, a protected characteristic under federal and state laws.
- Comparator evidence, which shows differential treatment of someone outside the protected class.
- Pretext, revealing that the employer's reasons for adverse action were a cover for discrimination.
- Direct evidence, like racially offensive remarks, discriminatory policies, or explicit bias.
- Circumstantial evidence, such as patterns of discriminatory treatment, biased decision-making, or a hostile work environment.
- A detailed documentation of incidents, such as emails or witness statements, and more to support your claims.
To build a solid case, you should keep a log of the date, time, and location where the incident took place. Also, take note of witnesses and what occurred when you experienced discrimination. Doing so will help you prove that there is a pattern of unlawful racial discrimination.
Experienced Race Discrimination Lawyer in Birmingham
We understand that racial discrimination can not only affect your livelihood, but it can also affect your well-being, which is why we will dedicate ourselves to providing you with the legal representation that you need in order to fully protect your rights under the law.
Our Birmingham race discrimination attorneys are very experienced with race discrimination and we will use our experience, and our knowledge, to represent you and help you to get the justice you deserve. We will work diligently to help you win the compensation that you are entitled to. This is a serious violation of federal law, and you can expect aggressive legal action to be taken on your behalf.