Contact Us Today!
Birmingham Harassment Lawyers
Experienced Defense Against Workplace Harassment in Ala
Various laws and ordinances protect employees from harassment due to their race, gender, age, and other distinguishing factors. While we normally think of workplace harassment as sexual harassment, this is not always true. Individuals can be victims of several forms of workplace harassment besides sexual harassment.
Call Michel | King today at (205) 265-1880 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our harassment attorneys in Birmingham!
What Is Workplace Harassment?
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) broadly defines harassment as unwelcome behavior, which can be either verbal or physical.
Two different kinds of treatment can constitute harassment.
- Harassment severe or pervasive enough to create an uncomfortable or fearful work environment is hostile. A hostile work environment can be created by someone in management, a co-worker, or even a customer.
- Harassment changes the victim's employment status or benefits (e.g., a demotion, wrongful termination, denial of promotion). This type of harassment can sometimes be quid pro quo harassment. Quid pro quo is a Latin phrase "this for that." Given that the nature of this type of harassment affects an employee's status or benefits, it is most often inflicted by those in management positions.
Examples of Workplace Harassment
The following are common forms of harassment that occur in workplaces in Alabama:
- Unwelcome comments or demeaning behavior related to a person's race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age, or disability
- Racial slurs and personal insults
- Derogatory language, homophobic slurs, or disparaging remarks about someone's perceived sexual orientation
- Expressions of disgust or intolerance toward a particular race
- Intimidation through threats or displaying discriminatory symbols
- Arguing about religion or attempting to change someone's viewpoint regarding religion
- Physical conduct such as hitting, pushing, groping, and other forms of unwelcome touching
- Ignoring the contributions of workers aged 40 and over
- Age-related jokes
- Displaying offensive images or making obscene gestures
Contact Our Birmingham Harassment Attorneys Today
If you are experiencing treatment that results in any of these scenarios, you may be able to pursue legal action to end the harassment. It is important to consult with a reliable harassment attorney to protect your rights effectively. Our legal team understands the severity of your situation, and we will fight for the results you deserve. We have served the residents of Birmingham, Alabama, for nine years, and we can put our 50+ years of combined experience to work for you
Contact Michel | King today to schedule a FREE confidential case evaluation with our harassment lawyers in Birmingham!